Skip to main content

Loving vs. Virginia

 Copied from my Facebook: 

Today I starting watching "Loving" on Netflix which is about the court case that allowed for interracial marriage. As I have read about this case and this humble couple, I am grateful for their fight. They didn't even want to make a big fuss, they just wanted to be able to love each other and raise their family.
Interracial marriage was made legal in 1967. However, some states were slow to adopt fully.
"Despite the court’s decision, however, some states were slow to alter their laws. The last state to officially accept the ruling was Alabama, which only removed an anti-miscegenation statute from its state constitution in 2000."
Nayte and I got married in 2006.
Something I have learned is that these big events and court cases didn't happen a long time ago. Our PARENTS remember these times bc they were there watching it all unfold or were a part of it. Racism is far from over. The racist people fighting against the civil rights movement in the 60s are politicians, business leaders, teachers, government leaders etc today. Maybe some have changed but many haven't. That's why it's still prevalent and why systemic racism really does exist.
I am grateful for the brave people who came before us to pave the way for the freedoms we do have today. I hope that I can be this brave and can make some kind of difference to bring more light into the world around me too.
Loving V. Virginia
HISTORY.COM
Loving V. Virginia
Loving v. Virginia was a Supreme Court case that struck down state laws banning interracial marriage in the United States. The plaintiffs in the case were

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black History Month

Copied from my Facebook account:  February is the month that we can count on learning about and hearing about more Black stories than any other part of the year because our education curriculum has omitted it. This video does a great job explaining this. I am also of the opinion that we shouldn't have a Black History Month however, until we get a sufficient replacement, that's what we have. So throughout this month, I plan to post videos and articles to show more of Black history than Slavery and Martin Luther King and the usual people and events we hear about. Any time this effort has been given traction it gets slammed down. I hope moving forward in 2021 we can finally rewrite the history curriculum to include people of color to show their contributions and struggles because it makes up this messy yet beautiful tapestry of American History and deserves to be recognized. YOUTUBE.COM The True History Of Black History Month Below is a brief but very informative discussion o...

Greensboro Four

Although I should have done it on the 1st b/c that was their 61st anniversary, today I honor these 4 students from NC A&T (My husband's alma mater). They helped spark sit-ins to change the policy of segregation of public spaces. It quickly caught on and there were sit-ins across the country. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjeVqNcN5yI

The Reason Behind the Name "Invulnerable Fragility"

 "Invulnerable Fragility" is an oxymoron, I know.  When I tried to name this blog I went through several names.  The first was "Get a Clue; Have a Heart" and I debated about making it a Facebook page rather than a blog and involving my husband.  As I thought it about, though, it didn't quite feel right.  So I went back to the drawing board and asked myself a series of questions.  Why am I doing this? What is the reason that I want to blog in the first place? Who is my audience? Answering these questions helped me to find a more defined path.  Several months ago, maybe even last year, my supervisor at work asked me and a co-worker to watch Brene Brown's Ted Talk on Vulnerability .  He said it had changed his life and felt we would benefit and he wanted us to discuss.  I started watching it casually from the link in the text he sent me and very quickly realized it was deeper than I thought it would be.  I needed to watch it more intently a...