Skip to main content

Tuskegee Airmen

Copied from my Facebook:

Today I would like to honor the Tuskegee Airmen, the first Black air core in the military. These have been one of Nayte's heroes for some time. We have a signed painting and two models of their aircraft, the P51 Mustang, as well as books and magazines about them. They were trailblazers and proved their worth time and time again that Blacks were as capable as Whites in flying successful missions. They were part of the reason Nayte wanted to fly in the Air Force.




Here is the link to the wikipedia page about this man, Herbert Carter, whom Nayte had the honor of meeting in real life a couple of times.


To learn more, here is an article from
history.com that includes a video.

Also, there are two movies made about this squadron called the Tuskegee Airmen (on HBO) and Red Tails (on Disney+) to see it unfold. (Tuskegee Airmen is the better movie in our opinion)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black History Month

Copied from my Facebook account:  February is the month that we can count on learning about and hearing about more Black stories than any other part of the year because our education curriculum has omitted it. This video does a great job explaining this. I am also of the opinion that we shouldn't have a Black History Month however, until we get a sufficient replacement, that's what we have. So throughout this month, I plan to post videos and articles to show more of Black history than Slavery and Martin Luther King and the usual people and events we hear about. Any time this effort has been given traction it gets slammed down. I hope moving forward in 2021 we can finally rewrite the history curriculum to include people of color to show their contributions and struggles because it makes up this messy yet beautiful tapestry of American History and deserves to be recognized. YOUTUBE.COM The True History Of Black History Month Below is a brief but very informative discussion o...

Greensboro Four

Although I should have done it on the 1st b/c that was their 61st anniversary, today I honor these 4 students from NC A&T (My husband's alma mater). They helped spark sit-ins to change the policy of segregation of public spaces. It quickly caught on and there were sit-ins across the country. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjeVqNcN5yI

The Reason Behind the Name "Invulnerable Fragility"

 "Invulnerable Fragility" is an oxymoron, I know.  When I tried to name this blog I went through several names.  The first was "Get a Clue; Have a Heart" and I debated about making it a Facebook page rather than a blog and involving my husband.  As I thought it about, though, it didn't quite feel right.  So I went back to the drawing board and asked myself a series of questions.  Why am I doing this? What is the reason that I want to blog in the first place? Who is my audience? Answering these questions helped me to find a more defined path.  Several months ago, maybe even last year, my supervisor at work asked me and a co-worker to watch Brene Brown's Ted Talk on Vulnerability .  He said it had changed his life and felt we would benefit and he wanted us to discuss.  I started watching it casually from the link in the text he sent me and very quickly realized it was deeper than I thought it would be.  I needed to watch it more intently a...